Manitoba Beef Producers is pleased to make available six $500 scholarships annually for MBP members or their children attending a university, college, other post-secondary institution or pursuing trades training. Preference will be given to those students pursuing a field of study related to agriculture or to those acquiring a skilled trade or pursuing a career that would be beneficial to the rural economy.
***Due to ongoing disruptions arising from the COVID-19 pandemic (and the related impacts on high schools and post-secondary institutions) MBP has pushed the application deadline for its 2021 scholarship competition into November instead of the usual June intake deadline. This application intake process is for students who will be undertaking post-secondary studies in the 2021-22 academic year.
Completed applications and supporting documents must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. Friday, November 5, 2021. A selection committee will review the submissions. Winners will be notified by December 14, 2021.
The scholarship eligibility criteria is as follows:
• Must be at least 17 years of age as of January 1, 2021.
• Must be an active Manitoba beef producer or the child of an active Manitoba beef producer. Note: This can include beef producers returning to school after a period of time in the workforce.
• Post-secondary program or trades training must be a minimum of one year in duration.
Items You Are Required to Submit:
• Completed application form;
• A typed 600-word (maximum) essay discussing “What the beef industry means to my family, my community and Manitoba.” Also include the reasons you enjoy being involved in agriculture.*;
• A copy of your transcript (either high school, or a recognized college, university or trade school);
• Proof of enrolment in a recognized institution (current transcript, or your acceptance letter, or a letter of intent indicating your intended institution and field of study).
• A list of community involvement (e.g. 4-H, community clubs, volunteer work, etc.); and,
• The names of two references, including their addresses and telephone numbers.
Submissions and ALL documentation must be sent no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, November 5, 2021 to:
Manitoba Beef Producers
220 – 530 Century Street
Winnipeg MB R3H 0Y4
Fax: (204) 774-3264
For more information, please contact Manitoba Beef Producers at 1-800-772-0458 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The 2020 scholarship winners’ essays are available in the February 2021 issue of Cattle Country. The 2021 recipients will have their essays published in Cattle Country in February 2022.