BORSCHT with HOMEMADE BEEF BROTH
(Yields 6 portions)
1” thick – Beef Shank, cross section
1½ Cups – Cooking onion, diced
¾ Cup – Carrot, diced
¾ Cup – Celery, diced
2 – Bay Leaves
3L – Water
1L – Beef Broth
½ Cup – Onion, diced
½ Cup – Carrot, coins
2 Cups – Green Cabbage, diced
2 large Beets – peeled, half moons
1 Cup – Yellow Potato, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp – White Vinegar
¼ Cup – Fresh Dill, chopped
To Taste – Salt and Pepper
- Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of neutral oil to pot.
- Season beef shank liberally with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot in pot, sear beef shank on all sides until browned.
- Add chopped onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves and water. Bring water to a low boil and turn heat down to a low simmer. Simmer for 4 hours. Strain broth and discard solids. Should produce about 1-1.5L of broth.
- Over medium high heat, sauté diced onion, carrots, cabbage and beets with a tablespoon of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Once veggies are slightly softened, add potatoes and beef broth.
- Bring to a low simmer. Once vegetables are cooked through, add vinegar and fresh dill.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and buttered rye bread.
Curated by Anna Borys for the May 2023 edition of Cattle Country.