CHILI MAC & CHEESE
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 Peak of the Market onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 1-14oz can (415 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 -19 oz can (540 mL) kidney beans
- 1 cup (250 mL) beef stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) macaroni
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk
- 5 oz (150 g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 oz (90 g) Colby cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) chili powder, or ground cayenne powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) paprika or smoked paprika
For the chili:
- Start by browning the ground beef in a non-stick pan.
- Heat canola oil in large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan. Add onion, garlic, oregano and pinch of salt. Sauté until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and ground beef and stir until combined.
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, and liquid (stock or water). Stir and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes – the chili will thicken slightly.
For the mac:
- Start by bringing large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes.
- In a skillet, melt butter and add flour. Stir constantly for 1 minute. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Keep stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the Colby cheese and 3 oz of the cheddar cheese. Stir until melted. Add chili powder, salt, and paprika. Stir in the cooked pasta until well coated.
- Turn oven broiler on.
- Combine the chili and the mac and pour into a large casserole dish (or two smaller ones). Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and broil for 5 minutes, until brown and bubbly.
Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.