KOREAN STYLE BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) stewing beef or simmering short ribs (chunky – about 5 pieces)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame oil
- 10 cloves garlic peeled, left whole
- ½ cup (125 mL) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (75 mL) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh ginger, minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) green onions, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Trim fat from meat, if any. Season with salt and pepper. Heat heavy bottomed or cast-iron pot that is oven-proof over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp sesame oil. Add beef and brown all over. If using short ribs, turn to brown each side. If using stewing beef, turn so each side is evenly browned.
- Combine garlic, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, onions, vinegar, and water in large bowl. Stir well.
- Once beef is browned, add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and place it in the oven. Cook for about 2 hours, until meat is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Once beef is done, remove from cooking liquid. Add the cornstarch-water mixture and let simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Spoon over the beef before serving.