MIDDLE EASTERN BEEF BOWL
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef, lean
- 1/2 medium Peak of the Market onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 ½ Tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh curly parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup plain yogurt (3-4%)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Manitoba barley
- diced tomatoes
- cucumber slices
- pickled turnip
- roasted eggplant
- yogurt sauce
- Heat large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add ground beef and break apart the ground meat with a wooden spoon. Cook until meat is brown.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, hot pepper flakes, salt, pepper and stir. Cook for about 5 min.
- Stir in tomato paste, water and lemon juice. Cook for 2 min and remove from heat.
- Mix in mint and parsley and serve with yogurt sauce and suggested toppings.
- In a medium size bowl, combine cucumber, garlic, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix and serve as a topping with your beef bowl.
Recipe courtesy of Tamara Sarkisian, RD (Fruitfulkitchen.ca)