MUSHROOM CRUSTED ROAST BEEF
2 hours 30 minutes | Servings: 8 | Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 2 hours 15 minutes
3 lb (1.5 kg) Beef Premium Oven Roast (Rib Eye, Strip Loin or Top Sirloin)
3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) dijon mustard
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg dried mushrooms (shitake or portobello)
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
½ cup (125 mL) onion, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) all purpose flour
½ cup (125 mL) red wine
2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine oil, mustard, thyme , garlic and pepper; rub all over roast.
- Finely chop mushrooms, rub all over roast. Insert oven- safe meat thermometer into meat so that thermometer tip reaches center of roast. Place on rack in ovenproof skillet or shallow pan.
- Oven-sear in preheated 450 °F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 275 °F and roast for 1 h 15 to 1 h 30 min or until thermometer reads 145 °F for medium-rare doneness.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 min before carving.
- After removing roast from pan, heat butter in roasting pan on stove top over medium-high heat; sauté onion until tender.
- Stir in flour until moistened, then stir in red wine, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Add beef broth and stir until boiling and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 2 cups.