SLOW COOKED BEEF BRISKET with BRAISED ONIONS
- 1 beef brisket, 4.5 pounds
- 4 ½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 onions, each cut in half, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme (3 sprigs fresh thyme)
- Cut brisket into smaller pieces, as it will likely not fit in the slow cooker whole.
- Prepare the rub and rub onto all pieces of brisket. Let sit overnight in the fridge (about 8 hours).
- Heat the 3 tbsp of canola oil in a heavy bottomed or cast iron frying pan over medium high heat. It is important the pan is very hot before you start searing. Sear each piece of meat until evenly browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Place in the dish of the slow cooker when finished. Set aside.
- Using the same frying pan, heat the 2 tbsp of canola oil over medium low – medium heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown and they have visibly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic to the onions and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. You want to get rid of any raw flour flavour.
- Add beef stock, tomato paste, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaves. Stir to combine and make sure you scrape up any stuck on bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture over the brisket you placed in the slow cooker dish. Turn slow cooker on low 8-10 hours.