SWEET AND SPICY GLAZED KIMCHI MEATBALLS
Appetizer or entrée
Yields ~ 25 meatballs
1/3 Cup – Kimchi, chopped finely
1 tsp – Kosher salt
2 tsp – Fresh ginger, finely minced
3-4 cloves – Garlic, finely minced
¼ Cup – Green onion, finely chopped
½ Cup – Panko breadcrumbs
1 – Egg
½ tsp – Western Family Chili Seasoning Paste
¼ tsp – Black pepper, ground
1 lb – Lean ground beef
Sweet and Spicy Glaze
¼ Cup – Soy sauce
¾ Cup – Brown sugar
1 tsp – Chili paste
¼ Cup – Rice vinegar
Slivered green onions
Sesame seeds, toasted
1. Kimchi meatballs: Oven at 400°F. Add all ingredients except beef to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute to allow breadcrumbs to hydrate and ingredients to combine thoroughly.
2. Add beef to bowl and mix for about 30-45 seconds on medium speed until ingredients are well combined.
3. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and then parchment over top. Using a small cookie scoop, portion meatballs out onto a parchment lined tray, just slightly smaller than a golf ball (about 2 Tbsp). Form round meatballs by rolling between palms. Place formed meatballs evenly on sheet pan.
4. Roast in oven for about 13-15 minutes until internal temperature reads 165°F.
1. Sweet and spicy glaze: Add all ingredients to a small pot over medium heat. Whisk until sugar is fully dissolved. Bring mixture to a boil and turn heat to low. Continue to simmer until mixture thickens just slightly, whisking occasionally.
2. Add cooked meatballs to a large pot and pour glaze over top. Turn heat up to medium low and toss meatballs in glaze. Allow glaze to thicken as it cooks while tossing meatballs. Continue to simmer until desirable thickness is reached.
3. Serve as an appetizer garnished with toasted sesame seeds and slivered green onions, or as an entrée with a side of white rice and steamed baby bok choy and broccoli.
Curated by Anna Borys for the June 2022 Save on Foods Meet a Rancher event featuring MBP.