UKRAINIAN MEAT BUNS (Perishky)
3 hours 40 minutes (includes rise time)
Servings: 30 buns
Prep: 3 hours
Cook: 25-30 minutes (plus 15 minutes resting)
Soft Bread Rolls
- 4 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp caraway seed, toasted
- ¼ Cup sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Cup milk, warm
- 1/3 Cup butter
- 3 Countryside Farms Vita Egg Yolks
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- Garnish with caraway seeds, toasted
- 1 lb ground beef, chuck
- 1½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ Cup onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dill, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- ¼ C – beef stock, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- In a large nonstick pan over medium high heat, brown ground chuck, onions, and garlic together until the meat is no longer pink. About 7-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat down to medium, then add butter. Stir until melted, then add flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add beef stock and stir until mixture has thickened slightly and heated through.
- Stir in fresh dill and transfer to a container. Place in fridge to chill fully until required.
- In a dry pan, toast the caraway seeds over medium high heat until fragrant, careful not to burn. About 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Melt butter and milk together until it reaches about 120°F. Stir to cool down if too hot.
- Add milk mixture to bowl of a mixer, fitted with dough hook attachment. Add yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Whisk in egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and caraway seeds. Add to wet mixture.
- With mixer on medium speed, knead dough for approximately 7-8 minutes until a smooth ball forms.
- Remove from bowl and transfer to a large, greased mixing bowl. Cover and allow dough to rise for about 1-1½ hours until doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen, punch down and divide into ~30g balls (about 30 portions). Be sure to cover with a towel to prevent drying out while portioning.
- Grease a 9×13 pan with butter along bottom and sides.
- With a rolling pin, roll each portion out to form a round of about 4”-4½” in diameter. With the round in the palm of your hand, spoon about 1 tablespoon of meat filling into centre and gather edges. Pinch firmly to create a seam.
- Place pinched buns, seam side down, in prepared 9×13 pan. Once the pan is filled, cover with a towel, and allow to rise for another 30-60 minutes until they’re about 50% larger.
- Make an egg wash: Whisk together 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon of water until smooth and there are no streaks of egg white. Brush buns with egg wash, top with a pinch of extra toasted caraway seeds and bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately generously brush with melted butter.
- Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Recipe curated by Anna Borys and featured in the December 3, 2022 episode of Great Tastes of Manitoba.