5-SPICE BBQ INSIDE ROUND
- ½ cup (125 mL) soy sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) 5-spice powder
- ½ tbsp (7.5 mL) chili garlic sauce
- 1 lb (454 g) inside round/outside round steak (could also use flank steak)
- Combine sauce ingredients in medium measuring cup and set aside.
- Take a fork and poke holes all over your steak, on both sides. Pour the sauce over the meat and marinate 12 hours, or overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook: Preheat BBQ to 400°F. Once the BBQ has reached temperature, turn one side of burners off. Fill aluminum tray with 1-inch water and place under BBQ rack on the side that has no burners on.
- Place steak over the tray with water and cook undisturbed 45 min-1 hr. The internal temperature should reach 135-145°F.
- Reserve marinade and heat on stove until it boils. Cook for 10 minutes and use to serve along with meat.
Alternative oven method:
- When you’re ready to cook: Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare baking sheet with rack placed on top. Pat meat dry and place on rack on baking sheet.
- Carefully pour approximately ¾ cup water onto the baking sheet under the rack and slide into hot oven.
- Cook undisturbed for about 25 minutes – you want to start checking internal temperature around this time, depending on your oven. Aim for 135-145°F.