BEEF AND PASTA FLORENTINE
- 10 oz (300 g) small shell pasta
- 1 19 oz-can (540 mL) Italian seasoned stewed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz-can (796 mL) crushed/ground tomatoes
- 1 lb (454 g) ground beef, browned
- 3 cups (750 mL) frozen chopped spinach or kale, well drained
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH dried oregano and basil, or 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) ricotta
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Brown ground beef in medium skillet. Drain extra fat, if desired.
- Meanwhile, heat stewed tomatoes in Dutch oven, over medium heat, breaking up with wooden spoon. Stir in crushed tomatoes, ground beef, spinach, oregano, basil and salt; bring to a simmer and heat through. Stir in ricotta.
- Stir in cooked pasta. Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled 9 x 13-inch casserole; top with cheese and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.