CHINESE CURRY STIR FRY
- 1 lb (500 g) sirloin steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cooking sherry or water or stock
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 Peak of the Market yellow or red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Peak of the Market medium onion, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½” piece of ginger, minced
- 1 ½ tbsp (23 mL) oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tsp (8 mL) soy sauce
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Chinese five spice powder
- 1 ½ tbsp (23 mL) curry powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) chilli powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) water or stock (add ½ cup more if you like it really saucy)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch + 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- Slice sirloin ½” thick across the grain and combine with marinade ingredients. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp canola oil.
- Add garlic/ginger/onion and stir fry about 5 minutes. You want the onion to start to soften without turning brown. Add the pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes more.
- Add the meat and cook until it has browned, and you don’t see any juices seeping through the slices. This will take about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the sauce and stir so it coats the meat and vegetables evenly. It will thicken slightly as you stir it.
- Add your stock/water and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, add the cornstarch/water mixture. Continue to boil about 5 minutes more, or until you reach your desired consistency.