Homemade Taco Spice Mixture
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chili powder
- ¾ tsp (3.5mL) oregano
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cumin
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) cayenne
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground pepper
- ¾ tsp (3.5 mL) paprika
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 2.5 tbsp (38 mL) spice mixture
- 4 hard or soft taco shells
- 2 cups (500 mL) cheese of choice (cheddar, marble, feta)
- Chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce or cabbage, green onions, green peppers, cucumbers as needed
- Combine spices in bowl and set aside.
- Place ground beef in non-stick pan over medium heat. Brown until no pink remains – about 10 minutes.
- Drain the meat and wipe out pan if there is an excess of fat. Return the meat to the pan and add your seasoning along with the water. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes more.
- Assemble tacos with shells, cheese, veggies as desired. Serve with salsa on the side, if you like.
- Store remaining spice mixture in an airtight container for use the next time you want to make tacos, fajitas, taco salad, etc.